Italy - English
Our Environmental, Social and
Novavax is on a mission to protect the health of people everywhere while supporting vaccine access, the environment, our workforce and adhering to the highest governance standards.
Our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Approach at Novavax
We focus our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts on increasing access to our products through innovative partnerships and programmes, operating our business with the highest standards and transparency; playing our part to operate our business efficiently while seeking to minimise impact on the planet, acting as a champion for diversity, equity, and inclusion, and practicing corporate social responsibility both internally and externally.
Follow the links below or scroll down to learn about the important steps we have already taken and check back to learn more about how our efforts evolve.
Maximising vaccine access and improving global health
We innovate through our research and development efforts as well as business and community partnerships aimed at increasing access to vaccines for serious infectious diseases. We support vaccine access and global health through the following initiatives:
- Focus on vaccines: One of the most effective investments in public health, vaccines are credited with preventing an estimated 6 million deaths annually worldwide.1 As a company focused solely on developing and delivering innovative vaccines to help protect the health of people everywhere, we quickly recognised the opportunity early in 2020 to apply our vaccine platform to the global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.
- Community partnerships and collaboration: We leverage partnerships across the healthcare industry to understand and address existing barriers to vaccine access around the world. Learn more about how we are driving conversations such as our past involvement in Aspen Ideas: Health.
- Partnerships to support urgent global health challenges: We take our commitment to global health seriously and have worked with governments and leading non-profit organizations around the world like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
1Ehreth J. (2003). The global value of vaccination. Vaccine 21 596–600.
Environment: Minimising our environmental impact
We operate with a focus on sustainability to help reduce our environmental impact. Key initiatives that showcase how we are working towards this goal include:
- Sustainable raw materials sourcing: Novavax uses sustainable saponin sourcing from the Quillaja Saponaria (Soapbark) tree found native to central Chile and used to produce our Matrix-M™ adjuvant. We source our saponin from a Forest Stewardship Council-certified partner. The bark is sustainably cultivated and responsibly harvested.
- Environmentally friendly facilities: We prioritize resource management, greenhouse gas (“GHG”) reduction strategies, carbon-conscious initiatives, water conservation and energy monitoring across multi-use leased and owned facilities. or more information, please see page 39 of our 2022 Annual Report.
- Enhancing human health and well-being: The company was awarded WELL certifications from the International WELL Building Institute at multiple leased facilities by creating spaces that enhance – rather than hinder – health and well-being.
- Make an environmental impact in our communities: Novavax AB, our manufacturing site in Uppsala, Sweden, is a proud partner of Uppsala:2030 a collective of business leaders, academics and residents of Uppsala, Sweden who are coming together to tackle sustainability challenges together.
Diversity: Championing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workforce and social responsibility in our communities
We build an empowering and diverse work culture, investing in our people to attract and retain the best talent and help SuperNovas achieve their full potential. DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) and social responsibility efforts are supported through some of the following:
- Roadmap for the long term: Embedding diversity, equity and inclusion within our corporate culture is a priority for the company, including development of a multi-year DEI roadmap and strategy. For more information, please see page 33 of our 2022 Annual Report.
- Foster education and growth and champion social responsibility internally and externally: Novavax hosts an annual SuperNova Women’s Leadership Forum, Executive Development programming to support the development of our employees, and has hired a full-time DEI and Employee Engagement Manager. The company also offers opportunities to give back to the communities in which we work and live.
- Support our talented team: We have built a “One SuperNova” community and offer our employees tuition and education reimbursement, industry-recognized health and wellness and access to professional coaching.
Governance: Meeting the highest standards of governance
We operate with a commitment to integrity, transparency, and accountability as we grow. How we govern responsibly:
- Key governance roles: The addition of key positions support the highest standards of governance and quality, including a Chief Compliance Officer who led the development of “The NovaCode,” a handbook of written standards and business ethics policies. Our Head of Global Quality Assurance and Quality Control has enabled a focus on building quality control and establishing functions of global technical quality, clinical quality, control systems, and compliance operations. The addition of a Chief Safety Officer accelerated the build out of a robust epidemiology benefit/risk group to better understand safety profiles our vaccines.
- Following industry standards and best practices: The company has amplified efforts to ensure compliance with all government and regulatory agency requirements and industry standards including good laboratory practices (GLP), current good manufacturing practices (cGMP), and good distribution practices (GDP). In addition, Novavax maintains robust cybersecurity standards to meet elevated government contracting requirements.
- Educate and equip employees: Novavax provides company-wide business ethics guidance and annual training and has a global hotline for reporting compliance concerns with established internal investigation protocols.